The team followed strict historical guidelines to protect the 1,756-square-foot basement inside the mansion. Halfacre Construction Company waterproofed the basement walls, performed site drainage and grading, applied exterior paint and installed new lighting, windows and dehumidification units in the basement for the $291,000 project.
During the project, the historic house was closed to visitors but remained occupied by staff.
Located at 5500 S. Tamiami Trail in Sarasota, the Edson Keith Mansion and Phillippi Estate Park are situated on a scenic 60-acre parcel. Built in 1916, the 10,822-square-foot house was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in March 1991.
Halfacre Construction Company has overseen several historical renovations over the years, including the 1950s-built First Baptist Church and its historically significant, stained-glass window in Venice, the Manatee County Courthouse and the Terrace Administration Building in Sarasota.
“While perhaps not widely known, historical renovations are among Halfacre Construction Company’s repertoire of services,” said Jack Cox, president of Halfacre Construction Company. “Sometimes the best aspect about renovation projects are the things that are discovered along the way and the history behind the buildings. Our team takes a lot of pride in restoring these community relics for future generations.”
Originally built in 1912 and taking only 16 months to construct, the Manatee County Courthouse was one of the first buildings to be erected in Bradenton using reinforced concrete. The updates restored the courthouse to its original glory with the correct finishes and vintage style but added the modern conveniences of air conditioning, fire protection and high-speed wireless internet.
The Terrace Administration Building, originally known as the Sarasota Terrace Hotel, was constructed in 1925 by Charles Ringling, president of the company. At 11 stories, 125 rooms and a construction cost of nearly $750,000, the Sarasota Terrace Hotel was touted as one of the finest in Florida. The updates and finishes selected for the 2016 restoration complemented the historical nature of the building and complied with the requirements of the Historic Preservation Board.